Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Reading Notes: Turkish Fairy Tales Part A

The Fish-Peri was very fun to read. I liked that the father didn’t want the boy to know what his occupation had been out of shame. Yet, when the boy grew up he found his father’s fishing net and decided to follow in his footsteps. This showed the good heart of the boy. This was backed up by the fact that he spared the fish and was then rewarded. It was as little disappointing that when he is set to marry the king swoops in. The king gives the young man impossible tasks to keep the maiden but each time the maiden helps get them accomplished. I thought this showed that the maiden wanted to be with the boy. In the end they stayed together.. I’m not sure what I could do with this story, but I really did like it.
                                                                              
The Maiden of The Fish-Peri from Forty-Four Turkish Fairy Tales

I liked The Crow-Peri as well. It was similar to the Fish-Peri in regards to an animal being a beautiful maiden and helping the young man complete the tasks asked of the king.


I think I could take either of these stories and make it more modern. I also think it would be interesting to have the maiden fall in love with the youth first and then willing get caught and then proceed to help the youth, making him fall in love with her. The story would be close to the original with a small twist of why the events occurred. 

bibliography: Forty-Four Turkish Fairy Tales by Ignacz Kunos; Mythology and Folklore Untextbook

No comments:

Post a Comment