Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Reading Notes: Japanese Fairy Tales (Ozaki) Part B

The tale of The Goblin of Adachigahara was very interesting. Goblins are always cool to read about. I wonder what would have happened if he hadn't looked in the forbidden room. Maybe I could do a spin off that went in that direction and answered that question.

The Ogre of Rashomon was a fun read. I liked how it was a secondary night that the story ended up being about, instead of the first hero that is mentioned. I'm not sure how I could work with this story, but I did enjoy it. It reminded me of Little Red Riding Hood in the aspect that the ogre disguised itself as an old woman just like the wolf disguised himself as Red's grandmother.

The Story of Princess Hase reminds me of both Hansel and Gretel as well as Snow White/ Cinderella. I really enjoyed it and thought it was interesting. I wonder what happened to the stepmother after everything happened. I think it would be fun to write a story telling what happened to her after and maybe having it be told by her.
                                                                             
Image from The Japanese Fairy Book

Bibliography: Japanese Fairy Tales by Yei Theodora Ozaki; Mythology and Folklore Untextbook

No comments:

Post a Comment