Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Reading Notes: Aesop's Fables (Jacobs) part A

                                                                                      
Camille Roqueplan's of The Lion in Love from the Wallace Collection
Source: Wikipedia


The Lion in Love jumped out a me. The concept of giving things up in order to appease the one you love intrigued me. It also showed how some are willing to go to great lengths, including changing their looks and getting rid of things that make them who they are, in order to get the attention of whoever they are in love/infatuated with. I could see some potential in a new story here. I could change the characters to be all human or all animal. I could make it to where the daughter wanted to marry the lion as he was but when he performed the tasks the parents asked she no longer wanted to because he was no longer the same being that she fell in love with.

I also liked the story of The Fox and the Lion. I liked how the more the Fox observed the Lion the braver he became and once he actually met the lion they started to form a relationship that could turn into a friendship. It definitely has the theme "Don't judge a book by its cover." I think I could transfor this story, but I'm not sure if it would be long enough.

The third story that caught my eye was The Hare With Many Friends. I was drawn to this story because the Hare seemingly had many friends, but when she was in need of assistance none of her friends wanted to help her. I thought it could be interesting to create a back story where maybe she helps all the others in a specific way or in multiple ways. I could elaborate on what all she does for them and why they enjoy claiming her as their friend. Then, I could add on the original, or rather a version of it, where they don't reciprocate the help. This would add a new level of betrayal to the story.
 
                                   
Bibliography: Aesop's Fables by Joseph Jacobs; Mythology and Folklore Untextbook

No comments:

Post a Comment