Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Reading Notes: Japanese Fairy Tales (Ozaki) part A

I really liked the story of My Lord Bag of Rice. The imagery was great and intriguing. I found the choice of monster interesting as well. I'd never think of a centipede being monster like, but then again when it is hundreds of feet long and can wrap around a mountain, I think it can qualify as a monster.
                                                                             
Photograph by Eric Guinther
Source:Wikipedia commons
I think the characters were also well portrayed by their actions. I also really liked the presents that were presented to Hidesato. They weren't just of riches, they were practical and magical of course. I liked that he gained his fortune by not having to buy rice and silk because of the gifts from the Dragon King. It was a different way of earning riches than I am used to in fairy tales, but I really enjoyed. I'm not sure how I could use the story or how to change it, but it was very interesting.

The Adventures of Kintaro reminded me of Hercules in the fact that he was such a strong young boy. I liked that he was able to learn how to understand the animals. It made it less sad that he didn't have any human friends growing up. Reading about the animals wrestling each other was very comical. I could expand on this story and maybe make it an article describing a WWE event or something, but the animals would be the subject of it.

The Man Who Did Not Wish to Die was a good story to read. I liked that Jofuku used a dream to show Sentaro what his life would be like if his life was granted. I could use this story and maybe change Sentaro into a woman and perhaps have her wish for love with a wealthy man instead of the average man she is set to marry. I could keep the concept of being happy with what you have and making the most of it, but change the specific details.

Bibliography: Japanese Fairy Tales by Yei Theodora Ozaki;Mythology and Folklore Untextbook

No comments:

Post a Comment