Thursday, August 25, 2016

Story: Fearless Jack

Jack be nimble,
And, Jack be quick;
And, Jack jump over
The candlestick

Jack was the leader of his group of friends. Jack and The guys were always daring each other to do crazy stunts and stupid tricks. There wasn't anything that was off limits when it came to their dares. They wanted to see how far they could push each other. Jack, being the leader, was usually the one who was being dared to do something. It was as if his friends wanted to make sure they chose their leader correctly. One weekend Jack and the boys decided they were going to go on a camping trip. They loaded up a car and a trailer and headed off for the weekend. Once they got to the campsite they set up their tents and started a campfire.




An average campfire
Source: Wikipedia
As they were sitting around the campfire they started their usual game of dares. The more dares that were completed, the more hyped up the boys got, and the more elaborate the dares became. It was Jack’s turn to take a dare. One of the guys spoke up with what they thought was the perfect dare. “Hey man,” he said. “I bet you can't jump over the campfire.” Jack, being the macho man that he is, could not chicken out of a dare. What kind of leader would he be then? So, he accepted the challenge. He started stretching so that his legs would be limber enough to make the jump. Then, he did a few short sprints around the campfire to ensure that he would have enough speed to clear the flames. Once he felt ready, Jack walked about ten feet away from the campfire so he could get a running start. He got into a running stance and when he had worked up the courage, he took off toward the fire. Now Jack was a natural born athlete, so he easily cleared the campfire and safely landed on the other side. His friends cheered and congratulated their fearless leader. Once again Jack came through and once again impressed his crew.





Author's Note: This is a pretty common nursery rhyme. I've heard it many times and recited it many times as well. The more I thought about it, the more it reminded me of a a chant used to egg someone on. It also reminded me of my younger brother and his friends and how they like to make each other do goofy things. 

Bibliography: This story was inspired by and based on the nursery rhyme "Jack Be Nimble" in The Nursery Rhyme Book, edited by Andrew Lang. 

3 comments:

  1. I remember my parents reading me the "Jack Be Nimble" nursery rhyme when I was little and I read it to my children as well. The way you turned the classic nursery rhyme into a modern story is very cool. I like your description of the boys daring each other. I could picture a group of boys doing that to one another; especially the fact that Jack felt compelled to live up to his friends expectations. I wonder what Jack might have dared the other boys to do. I also wonder if with each dare that was completed if the boys would increase the takes of the dares. The way you wrote the story allows the reader to imagine what else would happen, but sometimes it is nice if the reader flushes out some of those details for us. It is a great story and I like the tittle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As Heather said above, I really liked how you changed an old nursery rhyme into a modern story. A lot of nursery rhymes are said over and over again until we can recite them by memory so the way you put a twist on this classic was really cool. I got a little nervous toward the end, because I didn't think Jack was going to make it over the campfire, but you still kept it a story for kids and made it so nothing bad happened! Good story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, excellent job at making a simple nursery rhyme so relatable. I like the fact that you made it seem so realistic. We all know “those” boys that take a dumb dare and make it extreme, I also like the fact that what could have ended as a disaster in your story actually did not, which was a good thing. I have the opposite issue with my story, they almost never have happy endings. It’s a problem of mine…

    ReplyDelete