Sunday, August 28, 2016

Growth Mindset: My thoughts

I have never heard of Carol Dweck or the growth mindset, but once I started reading the transcripts and watching the videos, I became intrigued. I completely agree with what she is saying. I have always thought that we focus too much on the score that is given and not enough on whether or not kids are actually learning material. I admit that sometimes I focus more on just passing a test than I do on making sure I actually know the material I am studying. I think that it does cheat kids out of getting the full experience of learning and maintaining knowledge.
I could definitely work on having more of a growth mindset in my own academic career. While at OU I have noticed that I can sometimes be lazy when it comes to my school work. I am pretty good at remembering things, so I can put off studying until a few days before, cram, and still make a decent score on the exam. I've found that this can sometimes hinder my actual learning of the material; instead of learning and understanding the different concepts, I am merely memorizing them for a short time. I definitely have to work at this habit, so that I can have a full understanding of what I am learning and so I can better enjoy the courses I am taking.
I am very interested in learning more about the growth mindset and how I can apply it to my own learning and study habits.
I think learning more about growth mindset and applying it could definitely help me in my Physics class. I am not particularly excited for that class, but I think having more of a growth mindset would make it a little more enjoyable and would help me better understand what is going on.
                                                                     
An adorable meme found on a Growth Mindset Meme blog by Laura Gibbs. (made with cheezburger)

1 comment:

  1. Cassie I am the same way in that sometimes I just try to memorize the material instead of actually learning the concepts. I wonder if the lack of growth mindset in our country is the reason our educational system ranks so low compared to the rest of the world. If we truly aren't learning, then the following years in school will be harder and we will do worse. I've never thought of it that way, but your post definitely made me notice that.

    ReplyDelete