Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Reading Notes: Cupid and Psyche part B



The story of Venus and Psyche reminds me of part of a book I really enjoy, The Iron King. In the book Megan has traveled to the land of the fey where her father is king of the summer court. His wife Titania dislikes Megan because she is the product of her husband’s affair with a mortal. So, once Titania gets Megan alone she tries to torture her and turn her into an animal. I could change the story to where Venus tries to change Psyche into an animal. I could also change the story to where Cupid intervenes sooner.



The Sleep of the Dead was also interesting. I thought it might be fun to have Cupid kiss Psyche awake instead. I also was curious as to how Venus reacted when Psyche returned, completing the final task. It would be fun to elaborate on this. I could have Venus be impressed, or at least less angry, or I could have her still be upset but have no choice but to release her because Jupiter tells her to do so. I think this is probably the story I will use for my storytelling post.

                                                                            
Venus on Seashell, from the Casa di Venus, Pompeii
Source:Wikipedia
Bibliography: Apuleius's Golden Ass, translated into English by Tony Kline; Mythology and Folklore Untextbook

No comments:

Post a Comment