Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Reading Notes: Cupid and Psyche part A



The story of Psyche’s Beauty and the Anger of Venus sparked my attention. It reminded me a little of Snow White. Venus’s jealousy of all the attention Psyche is receiving reminded me of the evil queen’s jealousy towards Snow White’s growing beauty. I could try to mesh the stories together or create a more modern version that incorporates both stories. For example, I could do a story where the popular high school girl, Valerie, is threatened by the presence of the new girl, Penny.



The Oracle of Apollo was also interesting to me. This girl is incredibly beautiful, but because it is so extraordinary there is not a suitor who is brave enough to marry her. They are all intimidated by her beauty. I could take this story and set it in an Elizabethan setting, where Psyche is a princess to a powerful king, but because of his great power and her unnerving beauty no one offers to take her hand, or something along those lines. I could also do a gender flip, where Psyche is a male and is still enduring the same fate because the females are too self-conscious to be wed to such perfection. I’m not sure how I could incorporate the part of the oracle, maybe in a modern story it could be a horoscope or a fortune teller. That could be interesting.

                                                                   
Psyche Receiving Cupid's First Kiss by Francois Gerard
Source:Wikipedia

Bibliography: Apuleius's Golden Ass, translated into English by Tony Kline; Mythology and Folklore Untextbook

No comments:

Post a Comment