Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Week 8 Growth Mindset

I really enjoy the concept of Growth Mindset. It is very similar to my own thinking and it also helps me evaluate myself in certain classes and also life in general.
Made with cheezburger

There are some areas that I believe I am stronger in. For example, I love trying new things and taking risks. I am the type of person who will totally jump out of a plane, with a parachute of course, for fun. I also am that way when it comes to my school work. Throughout high school I was bored a lot of the time, which is one of the main reasons I was looking forward to college. I also chose a major that is by no means the hardest offered at OU, but it does require a lot of work and dedication. I don't like taking the easy road; I like to be challenged and OU definitely challenges me. I also think I am pretty good at taking a long-term view. I have had my life planned out since I was like 12. It hasn't always gone according to plan, but I am a long term planner for sure.

There are a few things that I could definitely work on. I have been known to be a perfectionist. I think I have gotten better at this since I've been at OU; I don't think there is really room to be a perfectionist in college. This leads to my other weakness, which is focusing on the grade and not the actual learning. I think I have also improved on this since being at OU because depending on your major and the classes you are in you have to really know the material to do well in the class. The other point that I saw that I am still working on is comparing myself to others. I'm not sure if it is because I am just competitive by nature or what, but I have a hard time focusing on my own progress and what I excel at. This is probably my most improved area since high school though. I have found that it takes a lot more effort to focus on how you match up to others than just focusing on yourself.

I'm really excited to continue applying the Growth Mindset to the rest of the semester both in this class and my others. It is definitely a resourceful way of thinking!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Cassie!
    First, your blog theme is incredible. I love the beautiful colors and your font! I know, so random, but it immediately caught my eye. I love that you are so adventurous. Skydiving would be so fun, but I am a huge scaredy cat! So I’ll live vicariously through you. Excited to see more of your posts in the future. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I agree with what you said about growth mindset. I too can sometimes be a perfectionist and I also tend to focus on grades rather than actual learning. I think this class has helped a lot with that though and I think that even college can help a lot with this, since high school is so grades focused. We will keep growing and get out of that high school mindset! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cassie! Great post! I really enjoyed what you had to say about focusing on the grade and not the actual learning. This is such a hard thing to overcoming because in college you feel like your GPA is everything. Its also hard not to get discouraged by a grade. I know that sometime if I get a bad grade I am overly hard on myself. I hope that I can learn from you how to not be afraid to take the jump! It seems like you are the type of person who can dust themselves off and get back on the horse and I think that is a great asset to growth mindset!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your description of yourself makes your personality sound like someone that others can trust and look up to. Sometimes being a perfectionist is helpful, but I do understand that it can keep you from actually learning. I think being able to calm down these characteristics is easier than trying to do the opposite and find motivation, which is what I struggle with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Cassie. This is a great post. I love reading people's growth mindset posts because it's a great reminder that we all sort of struggle with similar things in college no matter what we're majoring in. It's awesome that you're so open to new experiences. I think that's one of the most important things for growth! And I totally understand the perfectionism. That's a huge struggle for me, and something I definitely need to work on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Cassie. Amazing post! I love hearing how each person took the concept of the growth mindset and made it their own. We all struggle with similar things thanks to college. I love how you are open with all of your experiences and I hope everything is going well. Keep finding new adventures!

    ReplyDelete