Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Reading Notes: Marriage Tales Part B

The Girl and the Turkeys is very similar to Cinderella. I love it! It was so interesting to the different cultural take on a classic fairy tale that most people know. I really liked that the stipulation for her to return to normal was if she forgot about her Turkey friends. It drove home the idea that it doesn't really matter what you look like, dress like, or own but rather how you treat and care for others. I also thought it was interesting that there wasn't really a happy ending. It might be interesting to make one of the Turkeys turn into a man and marry the girl for her kind heart after returning to them.
 The Birds of America by John James Audubon
The True Bride had a Snow White feel to it, which made it interesting because my mind was comparing the two as I was reading. I like that step sister was made to spit toe nails. Out of everything that I could have thought of her spitting from her mouth, I never would have thought of toe nails. I thought that was humorous. I'm not sure what I could change about this story, but I really did enjoy reading it.
photo taken by Marco Verch
Bibliography: Tales of the North American Indians by Stith Thompson; Mythology and Folklore Untextbook

No comments:

Post a Comment