Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Reading Notes: Marriage Tales Part A

I wasn't able to pick out a specific story I liked for this reading. They were all interesting, but I couldn't decide which one specifically to retell.

While I was reading The Piqued Buffalo-Wife I thought about changing the story to where the man and woman have a fight and she leaves. Then, the man has to pick out his wife from a group but is able to do so without any hints. I thought it would be interesting to keep the plot similar, but change it up enough to make it new. It could also tie in with my theme of love stories because he is able to identify his wife through his unrequited love for her. Just a thought.
By Jack Dykinga

The Bear-Woman and Deer-Woman could maybe be a tale of jealousy. The doe and the grizzly could be "friends" but they both have eyes for the same guy. The guy likes the doe back, but the grizzly becomes jealous and kills her. Maybe I could throw a Sleeping Beauty/Snow White element into it where his kiss is able to bring her back to life, or maybe just the strength of his love could do it?


I also had some ideas for The Woman Stolen by Killer Whales. Instead of the woman already being married, I thought it could be interesting to have her fishing alone and mistakenly kill the killer whale and then being kidnapped. The news of the kidnapping could travel through the sea and reach the ears of the shark. He takes pity and rescues her and the two fall in love as a result.
By Robert Pittman

Bibliography: Tales of the North American Indians by Stith Thompson; Mythology and Folklore Untextbook

No comments:

Post a Comment