Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Reading Notes: Japanese Fairy Tales (Lang) part A

I like the story of the Stonecutter. The man starts off with a simple life, but once he gets a taste of being wealthy it is never enough, he is never satisfied. I like stories that tell about greed drawing people away from their previous selves and lives only for them to wish they could go back. I like the moral that we should be satisfied with what we are given and work hard to make it to where we want to go instead of envying others and not doing anything about it. I think I can take this story and modernize it. I think it would be interesting to do a story where the woman marries a man she loves but they lead a poor life and she envies the wife of the rich man. I could then take aspects of the Stonecutter and place events into the story that make her wish she could go back to her old life.
The Stonecutter by Matt Andrews




Bibliography: Japanese Fairy Tales retold by Andrew Lang; Mythology and Folklore Untextbook

No comments:

Post a Comment