Thursday, November 17, 2016

Storytelling: Briar Rose

"Daddy, will you tell us the story again? Please?!" The two little brown-haired, green-eyed girls squealed as they clambered into bed.

"OK, I'll tell you the story. Settle down now," Prince Phillip chuckled as he tucked the giggling princesses into bed. "Here we go....."

~Once upon a time there lived a king and queen who ruled a land where fairies still resided. They had plenty of material things, but they had been married many years and were still childless. This made them very sad.

One day the queen was walking in her garden next to the river when she saw a poor fish that had thrown itself out of the water. The queen felt sorry for the fish and threw it back into the water. The fish was grateful to the kind queen and told her that soon her wish to have a child would be fulfilled.

The fish's promise soon came true and the queen gave birth to a beautiful daughter named Briar Rose. The king was so filled with joy that he decided to hold a magnificent feast to celebrate. He invited all of the citizens of his land.

The queen decided to invite the fairies as well. There were thirteen fairies in their kingdom, but they only had enough room for twelve. So, they had to leave out one of the fairies. The twelve fairies that were invited came to the joyful event and took turns blessing Briar Rose with lovely gifts. One gave her a kind heart, one gave her beauty, and so on until she had everything good in the world.

The eleventh fairy had just finished blessing Briar Rose, when a noise echoed through the ballroom. Whispers quickly started to spread that the thirteenth fairy had arrived. She was not pleasant like the other fairies. She entered the ballroom and scolded the king and queen for not inviting her. She was so mad that she cursed the child to die from a wound inflicted by a spinning wheel on her fifteenth birthday.

The king and queen were heartbroken. The twelfth fairy had not blessed Briar Rose yet and told them that even though the curse had to be fulfilled, she could soften the consequences to a deep slumber of one hundred years instead of death. So, this was the gift she gave to Briar Rose.

The king and queen still hoped they could avoid the curse and ordered that all of the spinning wheels in the kingdom be rounded up and burned. In the meantime, the princess grew up and all of the other gifts were fulfilled. She was so beautiful and kind-hearted and everyone who knew her loved her dearly.

On her fifteenth birthday, her parents were away and she was left alone in the palace. She went exploring and found an old tower with an old door that had a small golden key in the knob. She slowly turned the key and gently pushed the door open. In the middle of the room sat a spinning wheel. She had never seen one before and set to inspecting the strange object. Briar Rose ran her finger across the spindle and pricked her finger. The curse was fulfilled and she fell lifeless to the floor.

~"Oh no!" the girls cried.

"Don't worry," Phillip reassured them. "She's just asleep, remember?"

"Oh yeah!" they said simultaneously. "Keep going, Daddy!"

"Alright," he continued.

~Briar Rose was not the only one who fell asleep. Her entire kingdom had fallen under the spell, including her parents who had arrived home just as the curse was taking place. While the kingdom fell into the deep slumber, a thick hedge of thorns grew around the palace. Every year it grew taller and thicker until the palace was completely hidden from view. However, word spread throughout the lands of the beautiful princess and her sleeping kingdom. Every so often a king's son would try to make his way through the hedge to the palace, but they always got stuck in the thorns and never made it out.

Many years later, a young prince came into the land and an old man told him the story of Briar Rose and the palace hidden amidst the thorns. The man also told the prince of the countless princes who tried in vain to seek her out. This did not frighten the prince. So he set out to try his luck despite the old man's objections.

It just so happened that it had been exactly one hundred years since the curse fell and so when the prince came to the hedge all he saw were beautiful flowering shrubs, which he easily made his way through. Then he made his way to the palace. He entered the palace and saw the sleeping court.
He continued on until he finally reached the tower. He pushed open the door and saw Briar Rose fast asleep on the floor. He was so enchanted by her beauty that he stooped down and gently kissed her.

As soon as the prince kissed her, she opened her eyes and smiled at him. They made their way down from the tower to find the rest of the kingdom waking up as well. The two wed soon after and they lived happily ever after.

~"The end," said Phillip. "Goodnight, girls, I love you."

"Goodnight, Daddy," the little princesses said.

Phillip put out the light and gently shut the girls' door. He made his way to his room where his wife was waiting.

"The same story again, huh?" she asked.

"Yeah, but I never get tired of it. I could tell the story of us a thousand times," Phillip replied.

Briar Rose smiled at him and he smiled at her. They knew the ending to the story was true, they were definitely living happily ever after.

Author's Note: My story is very similar to the original story of Briar Rose. The plot is exactly the same, but retold in my own words. I wanted to keep the original intact, but add a new flare to it. I thought it would be cute to have it being told as a bedtime story. I thought it would be fun to have the prince from the story being the one retelling the story and it made it even sweeter that he was telling it to his daughters. I liked the idea that Briar Rose and Phillip went on to have children and they loved each other so much that they shared their enchanting story with their eager daughters. The girls having such a strong interest in the story makes it even sweeter because they love listening to how their parents met and the fascinating circumstances that led to their encounter. It was a challenge trying to figure out how to flip back and forth between the dialogue of Phillip and the girls and the actual story itself. I wanted to make it clear without having to add a lot to the story. I named the prince Phillip because that was the prince's name from Disney's Sleeping Beauty which is very similar to the story of Briar Rose. The story still has the fairy tale theme of love, it is just much more subtle.

Image Information: "Take the Fair Face of Woman, and Gently Suspending, With Butterflies, Flowers, and Jewels Attending, Thus Your Fairy is Made of Most Beautiful Things" by Sophie Gengembre Anderson (Wikimedia Commons)
-Photo of a Schacht Reeves spinning wheel crafted by the Reeves Family taken from http://heritagespinning.com/wheels/
-"The Council Chamber" from the "Legend of Briar Rose" by Sir Edward Burne-Jones (Wikimedia Commons)

Bibliography: Fairy Tales by the Brothers Grimm; Mythology and Folklore Untextbook

8 comments:

  1. I love the story of Brain Rose. It's actually one of my favorite fairy tales. Your retelling of it was amazing. I love that briar rose and Phillip have kids. The bedtime story was really sweet. You did a really good job with the reaction of the kids in the middle of the story. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cassie, that was a really sweet story and the ending was a cute surprise as well. It reminds me of the Notebook in that the story is autobiographical but the audience does not know it. I've read some of your stories before and I have always enjoyed them. Briar Rose was no different. I liked how you made it a bed time story. That was another great addition to the story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this story! I watched Disney’s Sleeping Beauty. So, I really like a different version of Sleeping Beauty in your story. I know there is a dark version of Sleep Beauty, but I’m glad this version is lighthearted. It is very sweet that the story was told by the main character himself. I think it is very interesting to add the sequel to the story after happy ever after phrase.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw I love this story! I like how you changed up Sleeping Beauty to make it your own. And I greatly enjoyed how it is a lot like your other stories in that it is about love and fairy tales. You did a fantastic job with this!
    I honestly think this story may be my favorite one you have done to date!
    Great job girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job with the story! I really like that you set it up as a bed time story told by a father to his children. The story was very interesting because I had never heard of Briar Rose, although the "sleeping princess" thing seems to be very common. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so sweet! I love that you had it read as a bedtime story because it really would be a perfect one! I also love the detail with which you wrote this. You kept my attention the entire time, and ended the tale beautifully. I was really rooting for the prince to find the princess and I also liked how you expanded on what happened after the fact. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Cassie! After reading the descriptions on your Portfolio Index, I was instantly intrigued by the “Briar Rose” story. I recognized the name from the Disney version of Sleeping Beauty, so I was curious to see if this was anything like that story or if it was completely different. I absolutely loved how you had Prince Phillip be the narrator of the story, and how he was telling the story to his two daughters – that is so cute! The bedtime story concept is so creative – definitely not something I would have thought to do when retelling the story! I know you said that you were struggling to control the dialogue of Phillip and the girls and the story itself, but I think you executed it seamlessly. Overall, I think you did an incredible job! The story was really fun to read and I loved how you added your own personal touch to it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! This is such a sweet story. I loved how you turned this story to an even better one. Retelling the story as a bedtime story and having it be real is so unique. I love how it’s true and I bet when the daughters find out that it’s their parent’s love story they will love it even more. Your writing technique is awesome and I wish I could be as creative as you are! Keep up the work. I’ve read the original story before so I was thinking I knew this story, but you just totally changed it. I honestly think it’s even better. Overall, you did an amazing job! Thanks for the fun read!

    ReplyDelete