Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Reading Notes: Celtic Fairy Tales Part A

The Shepard of Myddvai was an interesting read. It starts off like a fairy tale  with the man being able to pick out his love among his sisters. It was frustrating to see him "strike" her three times and ultimately lose the love of his life. I use quotation marks because I don't think what he did constitutes a striking but that's just me. I feel like I could take this story and spin it into a happy ending. I'm still pondering the ways in which I could do this. 


In Gold-Tree and Silver-Tree it's interesting that it is the mother not the step mother that is jealous. I also thought it was interesting that it was the king who was given the task of getting the heart and the liver not a huntsmen. I really enjoyed the fact that it was the prince's second wife who brought Gold-Tree back to life. It showed her selflessness because she seemingly knew that her husband still longed for Gold-Tree and woke her anyway and was even willing to leave so that they may be together. I think I'd like to take this story and write a new one from the perspective of the second wife when she finds Gold-Tree and the events that unfold from that point in time. I think it would be interesting to see what was going through her mind. 
Snow White by Kawaiibrit
Bibliography: Celtic Fairy Tales by Joseph Jacobs; Mythology and Folklore Untextbook

No comments:

Post a Comment