Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Reading Notes: More English Fairy Tales Part A

The Golden Ball was an interesting read. The whole time I just wanted to know what was so important about that ball that the girl had to be hung if she lost it. I also wondered how the guy who gave it to her would even know if she lost it. I could write a story that answered one or both of those questions. This story already has a love aspect in it, so I could also incorporate that into my version to keep up with my running theme.

I liked Tattercoats. It reminded me of Cinderella a little bit. I love that the Prince fell in love with her just as she was instead of the dolled up version. I think it would be fun to take this story and make it into a modern day love story. I think I'm leaning towards this one.
Illustration by John Dickson Batten taken from the book More English Fairy Tales by Joseph Jaocbs

The Old Witch caught my attention mainly because of the moral. I like that it was a story about treating others how you want to be treated. I'm not really sure how I could adapt this story, but I really enjoyed reading it.

Bibliography: More English Fairy Tales by Joseph Jacobs; Mythology and Folklore Untextbook

1 comment:

  1. After reading this post I would have loved to see where you went with the golden ball. That sounds so interesting. I actually went back and read this one story. It is very interesting. Maybe you will write a story about the golden ball just for fun. And if you do I would love to read it.

    ReplyDelete